My path to becoming vegetarian and then vegan has been a journey, with many influences and teachers along the way. Below are books and other resources that supported me in shifting to (and sustaining) a vegan lifestyle.
Why Go Plant-Based?
Physical Health and Disease Reversal
- The China Study – T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. & Thomas M. Campbell
- How Not to Die – Michael Greger, M.D
- UnDo It! – Dean Ornish, M.D. & Anne Ornish
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease – Caldwell Esselstyn, M.D.
- Crazy, Sexy Diet – Kris Carr
- Healthy at 100 – John Robbins
- Reversing Diabetes — Neal Barnard, M.D.
- Power Foods for the Brain – Neal Barnard, M.D.
- Your Body in Balance – Neal Barnard, M.D.
- Goodbye Autoimmune Disease – Brooke Goldner, M.D.
- Goodbye Lupus – Brooke Goldner, M.D.
- Proteinaholic — Garth Davis, M.D.
- The Alzheimer’s Solution: A Breakthrough Program to Prevent and Reverse the Symptoms of Cognitive Decline at Every Age – Dean Sherzai, M.D. & Ayesha Sherzai, M.D.
- Fiber Fueled: The Plant-Based Gut Health Program — Will Bulsiewicz, M.D., MSCI
- The Plant Based Athlete – Matt Frazier and Robert Cheeke
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows – Melanie Joy, Ph.D.
- The World Peace Diet – Will Tuttle, Ph.D.
- Diet for a New America – John Robbins
- The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World – John Robbins
- Farm Sanctuary – Gene Baur
- Rebel Vegan Life: A Radical Take on Veganism for a Brave New World – Todd Sinclair
- Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, and Change the World – Kathy Freston
- Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, and Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry – Gail A. Eisnitz
You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity.Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Eat for the Planet: Save the World One Bite at a Time – Nil Zacharias and Gene Stone
- Give a Sh*t: Do Good, Live Better, Save the Planet – Ashlee Piper
- Carbon Yoga: The Vegan Metamorphosis – Sailesh Rao
- Food is Climate – Glen Merzer
Spirituality and Mindfulness
- The Good Karma Diet – Victoria Moran
- The Inner Art of Vegetarianism: Spiritual Practices for Body and Soul – Carol Adams
- The Mindful Vegan – Lani Muelrath
- Yoga and Veganism: The Diet of Enlightenment – Sharon Gannon
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Mahatma Gandhi
- The Love Powered Diet – Victoria Moran
- The Secrets to Ultimate Weight Loss – Chef AJ with Glen Merzer
- The Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force that Undermines Health and Happiness – Douglas J. Lisle, Ph.D. and Alan Goldhamer, D.C.
- Freedom from a Toxic Relationship with Food – Bobbi Giudicelli
- How to Survive a Pandemic – Michael Greger, M.D.
- Rebel Vegan Travel Guide: Veganism on the Go – Todd Sinclair
How Do I Move Toward a Plant-Powered Lifestyle?
- Main Street Vegan – Victoria Moran
- The 30 Day Vegan Challenge – Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- The Vegan Way – Jackie Day
- The Vegan Starter Kit – Neal Barnard, M.D.
- Vegetarian to Vegan – Sarah Taylor
- The VegNews Guide to Being a Fabulous Vegan – Jasmin Singer & VegNews Magazine
- Vegan’s Daily Companion — Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- By Any Greens Necessary — Tracye McQuirter, MPH
- Rebel Vegan Life: A Plant-Based Nutrition & Beginner’s Guide – Todd Sinclair
Nutritional Guidance for Thriving on a Plant-Based Diet
- Eat to Live – Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
- Eat for Life –Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
- Becoming Vegetarian—Vesanto Melina, MS, RD and Brenda Davis, RD
- Becoming Vegan—Brenda Davis, RD and Vesanto Melina, MS, RD
- Vegan for Life – Jack Norris, RD and Virginia Messina, MPH, RD
- Vegan for Her – Virginia Messina, MPH, RD with JL Fields
- Nourish: The Definitive Plant-Based Nutrition Guide for Families – Reshma Shah, M.D. and Brenda Davis, R.D.
- Eating Plant-Based: Scientific Answers to Your Nutrition Questions – Drs. Shireen Kassam and Zahra Kassam
- Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets – Brenda Davis, RD and Vesanto Melina, MS, RD
Communication with Others and Dealing with Social/Emotional Challenges
- Beyond Beliefs – Melanie Joy, Ph.D.
- Living Among Meat Eaters – Carol Adams
- Vystopia: The Anguish of Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World – Clare Mann
- Mind if I Eat the Cheeseburger? And other questions people ask vegans – Sherry F. Colb
- Getting Relationships Right – Melanie Joy, Ph.D.
- Check out additional books and resources on my Vegan Communication Resource Page
Compassion towards animals is so natural to us, that only through conditioning could we become callous towards their suffering and death.Leo Tolstoy
- Forks Over Knives – The Cookbook—Del Sroufe
- How Not to Die Cookbook – Michael Greger, M.D .
- Chloe’s Kitchen – Chloe Coscarelli
- Vegan Planet – Robin Robertson
- Eat to Live Cookbook—Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
- Eating Vegan: A Plant-Based Cookbook for Beginners – Dianne Wenz
- Truly Healthy Vegan Cookbook — Dianne Wenz
- The Big Book of Vegan Cooking – Dianne Wenz
- Main Street Vegan Academy Cookbook – Victoria Moran and JL Fields, with Main Street Vegan Coaches
- PlantYou: 140+ Ridiculously Easy, Amazingly Delicious Plant-Based Oil-Free Recipes – Carleigh Bodrug
- Plant-Based on a Budget – Toni Okamoto
- Eat Vegan on $4 a Day – Ellen Jaffe Jones
- The Great Life Cookbook – Priscilla Timberlake and Lewis Freedman, R.D.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (https://www.pcrm.org/) – 21 Day Vegan Kickstart
- Forks Over Knives (https://www.forksoverknives.com/) – recipes and meal planning
- Center for Nutrition Studies (https://nutritionstudies.org/) – recipes, resources, and research
- VegNews (https://vegnews.com/) – recipes and information
- Nutrition Facts (https://nutritionfacts.org/) – reviews research about diet and health
- The Daily Dozen App (https://nutritionfacts.org/daily-dozen/) — nutritional tracking app
- Plant-Based on a Budget (https://plantbasedonabudget.com/) — resources, recipes, and meal plans
- Vegan Outreach (https://veganoutreach.org/) — support , mentoring, and nutritional guidance for going vegan
- Vegan Health (https://veganhealth.org/) — evidenced-based nutrient recommendations for vegans
- Food Revolution Network (https://foodrevolution.org/) — articles about plant-based lifestyle and nutrition
- The Beet (https://thebeet.com/) – articles on all aspects of plant-based living
- No Meat Athlete (https://www.nomeatathlete.com/) — support for athletes to thrive with a plant-based diet
- Sentient Media (https://sentientmedia.org/veganism/) — ethical and environmental reasons for veganism
- Gentle World (https://gentleworld.org/) – learn, enjoy, and share veganism
- Happy Cow (https://www.happycow.net/) — find vegan restaurants
- UnChained TV (https://unchainedtv.com/) — vegan news network
- PlantPure Communities (https://plantpurecommunities.org/) – join or create a local PlantPure Pod
- Rebel Vegan Life (https://rebelveganlife.com/) – tips for plant-based eating, living, and travelling
- United in Heart (https://unitedinheart.org/) — solve climate change
- Living with Harmony (https://livingwithharmony.org/) – healing our planet
- Climate Healers (https://climatehealers.org/)
- Coalition for Healthy School Food (https://healthyschoolfood.org/wp/)
- National Health Association (https://www.healthscience.org/) — conference and newsletter on WFPB lifestyle
- NHA Plant-Based Travel (https://www.healthscience.org/plant-based-travel/) – WFPB, vegan travel adventures
- WeDIDit.Health (https://wedidit.health/) – community, education, and resources for plant-based / vegans
- Compassion Rising (https://www.compassionrising.us/) – compassion-based education and community for families
- Plant-Based Docs (https://plantbaseddocs.com/) — find a plant-based health care provider
- Find a Plant-Based Doctor (https://www.pcrm.org/findadoctor)
The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.Leonardo da Vinci
- Forks Over Knives (https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/)
- What the Health (https://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/)
- The Game Changers (https://gamechangersmovie.com/)
- Cowspiracy (https://www.cowspiracy.com/)
- Seaspiracy (https://www.seaspiracy.org/)
- Plantwise (https://www.adventhealth.com/plantwise-documentary)
- Vegucated (https://www.getvegucated.com/)
- How Not To Die (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die/)
- Eating You Alive (https://www.eatingyoualive.com/)
- Code Blue (https://www.codebluedoc.com/)
- Plant Pure Nation (https://www.plantpurenation.com/pages/plantpure-nation-movie)
- A Prayer For Compassion (http://aprayerforcompassion.com/)
- Eating Our Way to Extinction (https://www.eating2extinction.com/the-movie/)
- Earthlings (http://www.nationearth.com/)
- Peaceable Kingdom (https://www.peaceablekingdomfilm.org/)
- Dominion (https://www.dominionmovement.com/watch)
- The Invisible Vegan (https://vimeo.com/ondemand/theinvisiblevegan)
- They’re Trying to Kill Us (https://www.theyretryingtokillus.com/)
- Music Video by Moby (https://moby.com/journal/my-only-love-music-video/)
- TEDx Talk by Melanie Joy, Ph.D. Toward Rational, Authentic Food Choices (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0VrZPBskpg)
- The Health Science Podcast by NHA (https://www.healthscience.org/podcast/)
- Main Street Vegan (https://mainstreetvegan.net/category/podcast/)
- Food For Thought (https://www.colleenpatrickgoudreau.com/food-for-thought-podcast/)
- No Meat Athlete (https://www.nomeatathlete.com/radio-archive/)
- NutritionFacts with Dr. Greger (https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/)
- The Exam Room (https://www.pcrm.org/podcast)
- Plant-Based News Podcast (https://plantbasednews.org/tag/podcast/)
- Jane UnChained (https://janeunchained.com/tag/podcast/)
- PlantStrong with Rip Esselstyn (https://www.plantstrongpodcast.com/)
- Healthy LIfestyle Solutions Podcast (https://www.healthylifestylesolutions.org/)
Nothing will benefit human health and the chance of survival for life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.Albert Einstein
What does one eat on a plant-based diet? I used to wonder that too. Since going plant-based, I have come to realize there is an abundance of amazing foods from the plant kingdom. Here are some meal ideas to consider below. (For additional recipes and meal ideas, check out my recipe resource page).
- Oatmeal, fruit, and nuts
- Muesli (rolled oats soaked in nondairy milk for a few hours or overnight); add flax meal, maple syrup, fruit, dates or raisins, nuts
- Plant-based yogurt and fruit
- Whole grain bread or Ezekiel bread toasted, with peanut butter or almond butter
- Avocado toast (avocado spread on toast with seasonings as desired)
- Scrambled tofu with turmeric, nutritional yeast, thyme, sautéed veggies; salsa on the side
- Cashew French toast (bread soaked in blended cashews and nondairy milk instead of eggs)
- Basic Smoothie
- 1 to 1 ½ cup liquid—plant-based milk, juice, water, and/or coconut water
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup berries or chopped fruit (fresh or frozen—add 2-3 ice cubes if not frozen)
- 1 tsp chia seeds or flax seeds (optional)
- 1 cup of raw spinach or other greens
- Consider adding an avocado slice or a tablespoon of almond butter for creaminess
- Consider adding flavorings like a pinch of cinnamon or 1 – 2 tsp raw cacao powder
Lunch and Dinner
- Large salads with greens, veggies (raw or cooked), fruit, beans/chickpeas, nuts, and/or seeds
- Stir-fried or sautéed veggies over quinoa, couscous, brown rice, or other whole grain
- Soups (lentil, veggie, curry, black bean, minestrone—the options are endless)
- Wraps with hummus, roasted veggies
- Power bowls with rice, veggies, and legumes
- Pasta with marinara or pesto or cashew- based “Alfredo” sauce
- Falafel on pita or salad with tahini dressing
- Hummus or babaganoush (eggplant spread) on pita or served with raw veggies
- Veggie / bean tacos, burritos, quesadillas, or enchiladas
- Veggie lasagna
- Veggie burgers or Portobello mushrooms on the stove or grill
Veganism: A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose…Donald Watson